Teaching & More
- English Teacher, Chesterfield County Public Schools, 2018-19
- English Instructor, Front Range Community College, Fall 2017
- Community Creative Writing Instructor, The Muse: Introduction to Poetry Workshop; Poetry of Gratitude; Poetry of Desire; Teen Writers Multi-Genre Workshop
- Research Assistant, Old Dominion University: Worked with campus-wide interdisciplinary quality enhancement program (QEP); communicated with Writing Program Administrators to develop a university culture of writing focused on student improvement; analyzed and assessed large quantities of student-driven composition data
- Teaching Assistant, Old Dominion University: ENG 336, Short Fiction
- English Teacher for Norfolk Public Schools: Six years of high school classroom experience with a focus on AP instruction in Language & Literature, composition, reading strategies, and cultivating effective student-teacher relationships
- Poetry Editor, 2014-2017, Barely South Review
Conferences & Readings
- 2017 Juniper Summer Writing Institute: Accepted into the University of Massachusetts Amherst's weeklong writing immersion program, June 18-25, 2017. Juniper is "time out for you and your writing, time for wild invention, and to become part of a diverse community of acclaimed and emerging writers from all walks of life."
- 2017 AWP in Washington D.C.: Organized and moderated "Beyond Sex: The Poetics of Desire" featuring poets Tim Seibles, Remica Bingham-Risher, and L. Lamar Wilson. This panel explored the inherent necessity of handling desire in the modern world, asking questions such as: How does one negotiate and manage a spectrum of desire in a social system overwhelmed with excess and frenetic existence? How can desire produce attachment, and even suffering? Four poets investigate world and self through the lens of desire in their own work, and the influential work of other writers; how desire informs craft and aesthetic, and addresses and impacts audience.
- Writers Resist in Norfolk, VA: Organized and hosted a local event in alliance with the Writers Resist movement hosting readings in 100+ cities nationally and internationally on January 15, 2017. From the lead organizers of WR: "We must elevate the narrative surrounding democracy; better educate young future citizens; and mobilize writers who want to put their pens into political practice."
- NEON Festival Poetry Readings in Norfolk, VA: Organized and promoted annual community poetry readings in Norfolk's burgeoning arts district in 2015 and 2016.
- The Muse Writers Center in Norfolk, VA: Invited to participate as a featured poet and staff volunteer for multiple readings/functions at this thriving writers center from 2014-2017.
Service & Community
Yoga & Creative Writing in Community, 2014-2016: Organized and facilitated workshops pairing yoga and creative writing practices in Norfolk, VA yoga studios in conjunction with the Writers in Community program at Old Dominion University.